Sunday, September 1, 2013

Our First Venture "Up North"

It was a long day yesterday, with a lovely evening spent at Sam Russell's home to celebrate the 40th birthday of his son-in-law Mick.  There we were introduced to Sam and of course, Mick, who was the guest of honor along with his wife.  We also met  Jimmy and Sheila Johnston, Jim McCready, Ilse McMillan, and Lord John and Lady Barbara Ward....all good friends of Alan and Jette.  We had a wonderful evening that ended with a show of fireworks (not to mention cake, cheese and crackers, and cocktails).  It was a LATE night though....I didn't get to bed until almost 2:00AM.


We were up early this morning for a full Scottish breakfast with bangers, bacon, eggs, toast and coffee....all cooked expertly by Alan and Annette.  I found this to be "different"....

An odd name for bacon don't you think??

After breakfast it was off to Falkland to see Falkland Palace (which unfortunately, was closed when we got there).  We walked a bit, stopped in a few shops then moved on.  From there we went on to St. Andrews to see the cathedral, the castle, the "old course" and take a walk about
 town.

Streetview of Falkland


A view of Falkland Palace - this used to be a Royal Hunting Lodge






Old headstones

Wall detail


The main entrance
As you can see, the day was cloudy....no rain, but very breezy and a wee bit cool by the sea.  The temp on my phone said 59F, but I don't think that was correct.  Even I had to put on a jacket to stay warm today!  Once we left the cathedral ruins, we took a walk down to the "Old Course.  On our way there, I found something very interesting.....I apparently, am a Saint.  Please remember this when I return....I expect to be treated as such.  

This is SOOO fitting, don't you think??

We found many a door that looked like this....beautiful greenery!

Once we got to the "Old Course" at St. Andrews, I found it slightly odd to see people wandering all over the course....pushing strollers, walking their dogs, taking photos on the green....not what I expected from to see at such a classic course.  So I had Jeff and Annette pose on the "leader's bridge" on the 18th hole.  I see a Christmas photo here....
Annette and Jeff, our guides for the trip (well, Annette is)

The Clubhouse at The Old Course....those people on the green are NOT golfing, but instead are taking photo opportunities

It was time for lunch.  We had originally planned to take lunch in Anstruther at a fish and chips shop, but it was getting late and we were getting a bit rumbly in the tumbly.  We walked back into town and found a few different pubs, but The Central Bar caught our eye.  It caught mine for sure as I noticed that they served "real cask ale".....I'm in!  The fish and chips here was HUGE....Gin, Annette and  I all shared one order (which also came with mushy peas....YUM!)

The whisky selection

Our cask ale selection....I had a Claverhouse Red Ale and Gin took a Bitter and Twisted Blonde

Happy customers.....


From St. Andrews we made our way on to Anstruther - and drove right through it.  It's not that it's that small, but there was no sign saying "Welcome to Anstruther" like every other town we had seen.  My abilities as a navigator were now being questioned by the two SLEEPING in the back seat, but I don't mind.  I KNOW that I'm directionally challenged!  We turned around in Pittenweem and drove back to park. It was now even more windy and even colder....but we're on vacation so we walked around town, which didn't take very long as the town is not all that big!  It's a coastal sea town, and a popular spot....on nice sunny and warm days which we began to understand quite quickly.  We walked by a rather uninviting looking store front and passed by a window....then walked back.  That's a fireplace!  We took a step inside the Soar Alba Go Braugh pub and decided to warm up.  It was a lovely place....one that I'd frequent plenty if it were nearby Eagan!

How could one say no to this??
Doesn't that look inviting?

Warm and Cozy now....

A few photos of the sea side town and off we went to Pitterween and back on to Edinburgh for a nice home cooked dinner of lamb, asparagus and gratin potatoes.

 The walk out to the beach at low tide....


The warning we had when parking the car.

Once again it's late....11:30PM and everyone is in bed, but I want to keep this going so I keep record of our trip.  Tomorrow it's off to Oban with stops here and there along the way.  I know we've got a castle ruin that we'll be hiking to and we'll be taking lunch at Drover's Inn....highly recommended by our daughter Kirsten!  Once again, I know I didn't get EVERYTHING down, nor did I post all the photos that I took.  There'll be time for that once we get home....in three weeks!!  Until tomorrow......Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment