Thursday, September 12, 2013

Isle of Skye to Fort Agustus continued....

This is the first time in a while that I've had internet access so I know I'm WAY behind....and it's been taking an extra long time to load photos as well as the fact that we've been going pretty much non-stop since we got here.  I'm hoping that once I get to London I can catch up a bit.  So....continuing from the other day, I'm still on September 4th or our trip.  I believe I left off with this bit of a post:



From Eilean Donan, we made our way north, on our way to Drumnadrochit.,  Along the way we stopped at Loch Cluanie and I was able to snap a few photos.  Jeff suggested that I cross the road to stand on a rock…..when he looked back, I was half way up the side of the hill setting up…..yeah, I’ve been a bit of a pain when it comes to taking photos.  J 
Loch Cluaine from the hillside....

....and from the lochside

On to Drumnadrochit and Loch Ness.  Would today be the day that we sighted Nessie?  Unfortunately, no…..no Loch Ness Monster was seen by us or anyone else for that matter (that we know of).  Does she exist? Research and prior photographs suggest that she does (http://www.nessie.co.uk/).  While in Drimnadrochit, we had a bite to eat (and a pint) at The Fiddler’s Pub.

Nessie's Loch Ness Juice....not really.

Annette....patiently waiting for her pint.

After lunch, we walked around and I found a car for sale…..a 1934 MG.  It’s a fixer-upper that needs a bit of TLC, but I’m thinking it can be had for a reasonable price.
1934 MG....for sale!!
Public Garden Display

Signs for the directionally challenged

After lunch and our walk around town, we headed off for Uquhart Castle ruins.  I was expecting and hoping for the same situation we had at Eilean Donan…..perfect weather, perfect light and very few people.  We had the weather, we had OK light, and we had busloads of people.  It was an interesting place….not as nice as Eilean Donan (but remember, it’s a ruin).
Part of the ruins.....

The main ruins.....

There was really no danger of me climbing over any rails here!!
Gin - the way to handle the wind in her hair.  It's not really working
for me.....
One of the inner walls
A view from above



It was time to make our way to Fort Augustus to check into our B&B for the night.  On the way there, we rounded a bend and say this very cool bridge, so Annette turned back and we took a hike down to see the Invermoriston Bridge and falls.  We even caught up with a couple of Highland Coos. 

Invermoriston Bridge and Falls


View from the bridge


Higland Coo in a pensive mood
This one was a curious coo....

After stopping at the bridge, we made our way back to Fort Augustus which is at the southern point of Loch Ness.  There we would be spending the evening at the Caledonian House which overlooked the series of locks connecting Loch Ness and the Caledonian Canal. 

Royal Life Guard ship (similar to the Coast Guard)

The "new guy" showing off to one of the Captains

Our home the the night....we had the room with the window at the upper right
Ready to check in!

The rooms were small, but very nice and comfortable.  The SHOWER was about 30 x 30” so fitting into that was a bit tricky for a lad of my size, but I managed.  Our host for the evening, “Crazy Carol” gave us some suggestions for dinner, but before that we walked along the locks, down to the end of Loch Ness and enjoyed the view for a bit before walking back to town to visit some small shops and pick up some supplies for the evening…..

Internet is being spotty and unreliable again, so I'll post this now and continue later.  This is bad....it's 12 September and I'm still only writing about 4 September!

No comments:

Post a Comment